Maharashtra political crisis: what has happened so far?
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray held an emergency meeting of all Sena National Executives at Sena Bhavan, Mumbai on Saturday. It comes as Eknath Shinde’s camp claimed to have the support of two-thirds of party MPs.
- Maharashtra Vice President Narhari Zirwal may send disqualification notices to 16 rebel Shiv Sena MPs today (June 25). Meanwhile, Maharashtra Advocate General Ashutosh Kumbhakoni has been called by the Assembly Secretariat to seek legal advice on the current political crisis which includes the disqualification of 16 rebel MPs as pleaded by Shiv Senna.
- Other MPs have reached Guwahati as sources, according to ANI news agency, say the numbers are expected to top 50. Meanwhile, Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut said the party was confident that he would win the floor test at the Assembly. “We will win on the home floor, we will not give up. They (the deputies) took a very bad step. We also gave them a chance to return to Mumbai. Now we challenge them to come to Mumbai,” said Sanjay Raut.
- In an emotional message, CM Uddhav Thackeray said he did everything for Eknath Shinde and yet many allegations were made against him. “I did everything for Eknath Shinde. I gave him the department I occupied. His own son is an MP and comments are being made about my son (Aaditya Thackeray). There are many allegations against me,” Uddhav Thackeray said on Friday.
- As more and more rebel MPs continued to join the Eknath Shinde camp, the Shiv Sena faction filed a petition with the Deputy Speaker of the State Assembly demanding the cancellation of the membership of 16 MPs rebels, including Eknath Shinde, for “not attending” the legislative party meeting.
- Maintaining a defiant posture, Eknath Shinde claimed that the group he led was the “real Shiv Sena”, and also hit back, saying he and his followers would not be intimidated by threats of disqualification. In a series of tweets posted late Thursday evening, Shinde, who is camped in Guwahati with 37 Sena lawmakers and 10 independents, said that according to the 10th schedule of the Constitution, a party whip is issued for legislative debates and not for attend a meeting.
- The Congress Assam unit has staged protests near a luxury hotel in Guwahati, where Sena rebel leader Shinde and other MPs accompanying him are demanding they leave the northeastern state as he reels from a devastating flood.
Maharashtra political crisis live updates
Also Read – Watch: Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma invites Uddhav Thackeray for ‘holiday’ amid Maharashtra crisis