The Ottawa paramedical chief said dozens of staff have returned to work after clearing COVID-19 protocols following a major outbreak.
The outbreak is linked to a big party at a restaurant in Ottawa on December 15. To date, 53 members of the Ottawa Paramedic Service have tested positive for COVID-19, including paramedics and support staff. Eight new positive cases were reported in a note on Tuesday.
There are also 139 close contacts of the 53 people who tested positive. Paramedic chief Pierre Poirier said the paramedic was not aware of any positive test results from any of these people.
Poirier said there were “minimal” impacts on services in the wake of the outbreak. In his note on Tuesday, he said with more than five dozen people returning to work, the contingencies to deal with the issues were no longer necessary.
“A total of 61 staff members have cleared COVID protocols and returned to the workplace,” Poirier wrote. â€œFollowing their return, contingencies are no longer necessary to mitigate the impacts on service delivery related to this incident. “
Last week, Mayor Jim Watson said the news of the outbreak was frustrating to hear, but he said it showed how quickly the virus can spread.